2018-09-16

Phones of Glory

Modern
Bully Pulpit Games
2018

Complexity: 1

So I wanted to mix up my random selection method, so I decided to just go to free rule books and review whatever the newest title was. And that title was Phones of Glory, a game about civic engagement. Now this isn’t really a role-playing game in the strictest sense, or any but the loosest sense—the same sense in which any social interaction is a role-playing game—but as I’ve often stated, this is my blog and I just kinda do whatever I feel like. This will however, be a super short review.
Wait a minute, did I just call life a LARPG?

Mechanics: 2/5
Phones of Glory involves players calling their elected representatives to voice their opinions on issues. Not pretending to call your representative, actually calling them. While one is doing this the remaining players judge them on their phone skills. The game includes specific rules for judging each cal on a number of criteria, like communication, phone use, etc. There’s also a scoring sheet and big numbers you can print out and hold up like an figure skating judge.

Writing and Presentation: 2/5
Overall an adequate job is done explaining the wacky concept at hand, but nothing special. Likewise, the overall layout is neat and clean, but doesn't really do anything to wow you.

Final Remarks
Making a game to encourage civic engagement is an interesting concept. I think the general idea is that getting together with friends and having an absurd Olympic-style judging panel makes the act of calling your representatives less intimidating. Personally I’d find it way too awkward. Also I assume this would result in representatives receiving multiple consecutive calls with awkward laughter in the background.

Score Summary
Setting: N/A, Character Creation: N/A, Mechanics: 2/5, Writing and Layout: N/A, Art: N/A, Content: 2/5

Base Points: 4
Character Creation: N/A, Mechanics: 2/5, Presentation: 2/5
Adjustments: +0
Setting: N/A, Writing: +0, Content: N/A

Overall Score 40% (4/10 Points)
Good intentions, maybe not the greatest idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment